Mon, Aug 15|
Understanding the Public Security Implications of Climate Change
leveraging diverse expertise we will map out the risks posed to law enforcment and fire/rescue operations as well as a need for further community resilience required by climate change as well as propose practical preparatory and response remedies.
Time & Location
Aug 15, 2022, 5:00 PM – 6:30 PM GMT+4
About the Event
Climate change is already here and its impact is found everywhere, public security is no exception. With increased temperatures come drought, resource scarcity, and ever more frequent natural disasters. The effects of climate change will be felt by police forces, fire, and rescue services, and the communities they are dedicated to protecting.
- Firefighters will contend with an increase in wildfires and natural disasters compounded by a lack of water resources, or conversely, major flooding.
- Law Enforcement will confront border security challenges and the need to protect new and at-risk migrant populations while also enforcing inevitably new climate protection regulations.
- Communities will need to establish stronger resilience to an increase in climate-related risks including food scarcity and droughts.
This event will also feature a diverse panel of speakers including:
- Ilana De Wild, The Director of Organized and Emerging Crime at INTERPOL
- Detlef Schröder, Senior Consultant on Police and Law Enforcement Capacity Building and Innovative Policing, Former Executive Director of European Union Agency for Law Enforcement Training
- Erin Shrode, International Environmental Activist and Co-Founder of Turning Green
- Gary Schiff, Retired, Manager of the Carson District US Forest Service and Former Staff for US House Natural Resources Committee
- Saad Abid, President of Bahri Association, Environmental Consultant, and Content Creator
The webinar on "Understanding the public security implications of climate change" will present the impacts of climate change on the above pillars of community security as well as brainstorm with participants on the means to prepare and address them.
Join via Linkedin here.
Join Via zoom here.