Wed, Jun 22|
Mitigating the Broad Impact of Hate Speech
Learn more of recent trends in hate speech and about the cutting edge methods various stakeholders such as law enforcement, tech companies and social activists are using to combat it.
Time & Location
Jun 22, 2022, 5:00 PM – 6:30 PM GMT+4
About the Event
Hate speech is a universal issue which targets and impacts not just individuals but entire communities and societies. The implications of hate speech extend beyond its specific victims and all to often result in real world violence and instability.
Preventing hate speech does not just endow its former victims with further equality but creates a safer environment which allows entire communities to grow socially and economically. A reduction in hate speech also helps combat radicalization and thus contributes not just to local but global safety and stability.
This event will explore the latest trends in hate speech threats from a multidisciplinary perspective and explore key strategies to combat the threat from a range of crucial pillars including:
- The role of tech in combatting hate
- The role of civil society in advocating for victims
- The role of government and law enforcement in prevention and enforcement
- How a responsible citizenry can act against hate speech
- Jason Rosensweig, Commissioner, Illinois, USA Commission on Discrimination and Hate Crimes
- Sue Jones, Head of Operations, Ditch the Label
- Eliyahou Roth, Executive Director, the Online Antisemitism TaskForce
- Lt. Steven Sarao, Unit Commander, Racially and Ethnically Motivated Extremism Unit, Intelligence Bureau, Intelligence Operations & Analysis Section, NYPD